Bachelor of Science in Statistics
Be a Statistician!
- The major at FSU requires a mere 10 classes for a total of 33 credits
- Statistician ranks number 3 on the best jobs list for 2009 from JobsRated.com
- Statistician ranks number 4 on the best jobs list for 2011 from JobsRated.com
- Median starting annual pay of $48,600 for statistics majors is 11th best among all undergraduate degrees (2009 PayScale.com College Salary Report)
- Many of the required statistics courses count toward the completion of a certificate in SAS Programming and Data Analysis. Starting annual pay for a SAS programmer is $45,000 to $60,000! (PayScale.com)
Don't take our word for it. Read the recent article about statisticians from the New York Times!
Required Courses - Math
Three of the ten required courses are from the math department. Each of these required courses is a four credit class:
- MAC 2311 Calculus I
- MAC 2312 Calculus II
- MAS 3105 Applied Linear Algebra I
MAC 2312 has MAC 2311 as a prerequisite and MAS 3105 has MAC 2312 as a prerequisite. So, these three courses are generally taken in a sequence over three semesters: MAC 2311 is taken first, then MAC 2312, and finally MAS 3105.
Required Courses - Statistics
The remaining seven required courses are from the statistics department. Each of these required courses is a three credit class:
- STA 3024 SAS Data Programming and Statistical Analysis
- STA 4442 Introduction to Probability OR STA 4321 Mathematical Statistics
- Five STA electives at the 3000 level or above
This table gives an example timeline for taking the ten required courses listed above. STA 3032 is shown as one of the STA electives. We recommend this course as your first statistics class. We also suggest that STA 3024 be taken as early as possible.